The Department of Education published a report of its findings following the 10 year study of 15,000 students who were high school sophomores in 2002, and tracked their career, education, and personal growth through those 10 years. The findings were interesting, especially given the saying “college is the new high school”. As per The Atlantic’s report on the findings:
1. More than 84 percent of today’s 27-year-olds have some college education, but only a third have a bachelor’s degree or better
2. A 27-year-old who has a bachelor’s degree is 25% more likely to be in a job that is a stepping stone for their career, and 28% more likely to be in the job that fulfills their career goals
3. At 27, only about 10% of people had fulfilled their career goals. 2/3′s said their current job was a step toward that goal
4. 45% of 27-year-olds were earning between $15,000 and $40,000 a year, and 69% of them working 35+ hours a week
5. 60% of 27-year-olds had outstanding student loans
There’s a few things jobseekers in their early to mid-twenties should take away from all of this data. One is that college is a very important in getting you to where you want to be in your career and in life. Another is that even if you have an education, there is no guarantee that you will be working full-time, which means that having a part-time job on the side is a safe bet for securing your finances. Having a restaurant or retail job to supplement your income while you finish school or pay off your student loans is becoming commonplace in today’s job market. And keeping your options open by looking down multiple different career paths is always a smart choice.
For an employer in today’s world, finding and scheduling people who may be juggling two jobs and/or school can be tough. Students, graduates, and people who are still finding their career path may be working several different jobs to get by, and making sure you find someone who is available when you need them is becoming a higher priority.
Services like Fledgeling were designed to help those jobseekers who may be looking for a career change, or may only be able to work at one job on limited hours. With the ability to maintain multiple job profiles, you can search for your night job while also looking for the job of your dreams. And for employers, Fledgeling provides the tools to find the people who are right for the company and can work the hours they need, all at an industry-best price.